Do You Need to Replace your roof? Read this first.
Should I Repair or Replace My Roof?
There are various things to look for when it comes to either repairing a roof or replacing a roof. Trying to get a more affordable rate in repair can be worse over time if replacement is required instead of repair. Not to mention, patching up a roof when it requires replacement would cost a lot more later on. And even though obtaining a new roof is a huge expense, it will last for decades, and it will be money in your pocket if it’s done right.
The following are things to consider when deciding whether to perform roofing repair or roofing replacement:
- The age of the roof- as a rule of thumb, it’s best to replace the roof if it’s over 15 years old and repair it if the roof is under 15 years old.
- The availability of proper materials for repair- manufacturers may discontinue some items, and thus, it may be required to get a replacement.
- Evaluating the warranty- weighing out the details of the warranty may determine if it would be in your best interest to repair or replace your roof. Normally, repairs have a limited warranty, and replacements cover workmanship and material.
- Costs associated with roof repair and roof replacement- as mentioned before, trying to go cheaper by getting roof repair could be more costly in the end. Roof repair cost could also be more costly than roof replacement because of the economies of scale.
Other Tips Concerning Roof Repair & Roof Replacement
Other tips need to be addressed concerning roofs, and adhering to these tips will help you decide what is the best way to fix roofs. One thing to take into serious consideration is any detection of roof leaks. It could be anywhere on the ceilings, fireplaces, walls, exhaust vents, or skylights. If there are any roof leaks, it’s crucial to address these leaks as soon as possible before any further damage would occur. Secondly, if electing to completely reroof, it’s important to weigh the options regarding roofing over the existing roof or removing it. Either way, there are consequences concerning the cost. Another situation to assess is determining whether to partially reroof or not. Partial reroofing can cost significantly less than complete roofing, and if there are any slight color differences, it would hardly be noticeable.
On the other hand, partial reroofing is normally more expensive when going by the cost per square. Additionally, there can be problems with the roof having multiple layers, disposal costs, and increased labor. The job could look lopsided at the ridges, there can be a noticeable hump, etc.
To fix a roof, there are many things to process thoroughly, and it would behoove you to consult a professional and reputable roofing expert to properly fix roof issues. With all the complex situations mentioned above, along with other issues, such as the climate in Maryland, the best shingles to use, roofing styles, and other options, it’s very important to consult the ultimate professionals. Especially when living in Maryland, experts there will know firsthand how to handle each roofing situation to withstand the climate. They will know whether or not it’s better to patch up damages, remove or tear off the roof, and other things for each situation.
Adhering to the steps mentioned above will help your roofing situation appropriately. And as a result, you will have more value in your home if you ever decide to sell it, or you can increase 15 to 20 more years to your roof.
The Alternative Roofing Difference
What Sets Us Apart
- We'll never take a hard-sell approach.
- Our team has extensive expertise in the top roofing products.
- We are committed to producing high-quality work and outstanding customer service.
- Our supervisors will be on-site through the duration of your project.
- We're always available to answer your questions or provide a project report.